A Day in a Life of a Nurse: Pandemic Edition

A Day in a Life of a Nurse: Pandemic Edition 

written by: Shaila Ragasa
        
    I'm Shaila Ragasa, a frontliner nurse at St. Luke's Medical Center Quezon City, a registered nurse for two years and serving for this pandemic since March 2020. Currently, we are not accepting COVID-19 related cases due to the fact that
all our COVID units are full and a lot of patients are already lined up at our ER awaiting room availability. 

    People may be confused between a simple flu and Covid-19. Here's a brief explanation: both flu and covid-19 cause respiratory illness. COVID-19 is caused by infection with a new coronavirus (called SARS-CoV-2) and flu is caused by infection with influenza viruses. Symptoms are also nearly the same. Flu is already well studied and we already have vaccine for it. COVID-19 on the otherhand is new and every intervention we do is still in trial. There is no specific “cure”. One of the most common chief complaint of our patients is cough or itchy throat. In severe cases, difficulty of breathing which may lead to decreased oxygenation therefore requiring oxygen support or even intubation. Asymptomatic patients do not have the common signs and symptoms of the virus. 

    Ever since the virus spread, big changes were made in our workplace. Several doors and walls were created to isolate all COVID units. Our unit, Coronary Care Unit (CCU), used to cater patients with cardiac problems in need of closer monitoring such as those who underwent CABG, Coronary angiogram, Valve repair and post-arrest patients. We usually handle clean cases but during this pandemic, our unit was converted as COVID unit.


Frontliner Nurse's Daily Routine

    Before I go to work, I do my usual routine and make sure I never forget to take my vitamins and wear a mask before I go out. Eating a meal is also important before going to duty because we don’t usually have the time in between shifts to eat. Since we are a COVID ICU, we need extra strength and energy to lift bedridden patients. Going to work, we use our civilian clothes for infection control. Upon arriving at our respective units, we change into hospital-issued scrub suits before wearing our complete PPE intended for COVID patients(booties, bunny suit, cap, n-95 mask, goggles and gloves.) Even our phones are wrapped in plastic. Another thing is leaving every stressor behind before duty. We will need to have presence of mind throughout the whole duty so as not to make a mistake which could put the life of our patients at stake. After duty, we take a bath and change out of our scrubs before leaving our unit. Civilian clothes will again be worn when leaving the hospital. Arriving home, I take another bath and put on new set of clothes before lying on my bed. 


    With the holistic care we provide, comes holistic stress for us. In the COVID ICU, lots of our energy is used in lifting patients and even when doing chest compressions during cpr. A lot of the physical stress manifests through body aches, lower back pains. Sometimes after a long, toxic duty, I feel like I’m too tired to go home. I usually “rest” in our lounge for 15mins before going home. For us to be able to provide proper care for our patients, we also need to understand the rationale behind the orders given by doctors for us to know if these interventions are appropriate. Chart review is very essential. Medications administered are also studied so as to prevent adverse reactions that could threaten the life of our patients. Sometimes there is too much information to take in on a short amount of time making us mentally stressed. Sometimes this manifests as being “sabog” or “lutang” especially if we did not get enough sleep. As nurses, we are the ones who frequently interact with our patients. It’s always heartbreaking to see some patients’s condition deteriorate. Aside from that we also have to deal with emotional relatives on a daily basis. Sometimes they shout at us through the phone. Sometimes, they cry but despite these, we have to be empathetic. We always try to understand them. They are apart from their loved ones and that alone is stressful. We always make sure we address their concerns even though we have a lot of other things to do. Most of the time, this is really emotionally draining for us. A lot of us say “pagod na ko.” or “ayoko na magduty.” countless of times in the nurses station out of frustration but still report for work the next day.


The light in the tunnel

    During work hours, at the nurses station we play music to lighten up the mood. Sometimes we sing along while preparing medications or while charting. After work, we usually laugh off our toxic duty. At home, I pend my day off sleeping or doing things I love. Yes, we are overworked because of lack of manpower but my  healthy relationship with my workmates makes it a lot more bearable.

Faith amidst the pandemic

    Our faith is what keeps us going. Without this, then we would have submitted our resignation letter the moment Covid-19 entered the Philippines. I always make sure I never lose my motivation. It is indeed hard to keep your faith with everything that is happening in our country, but in the middle of this chaos, I finally have something I can do to help the people greatly affected by this through doing what I do best, nursing.

The Change of Heart
   
    I used to act according to my emotions and not think about other people’s feelings. Ever since I started working as a nurse, I think I have become more empathetic and patient. Before I say or do something, I try to understand where this person is coming from because my actions can either make or break a person. I saw how some visibly strong people suddenly become fragile and powerless in times of sickness. Sometimes they use anger as a defense mechanism because they are in denial of their situation. Most of these patients are usually uncooperative. As nurses, it is our job to give them hope and strength to move forward. We always try our best to put ourselves into their shoes to better understand them. We must always show them that we care for them to trust us. This is why even though they get mad at us at times, we understand because we know that they are in a lot of stress and we would never wish to be the one lying on that ICU bed.


Heartbreaks that come along the job

    Too many to mention. It’s always heartbreaking to see your patient’s health deteriorate. Sometimes they go from GCS 15 to GCS 3. Updating relatives would be the hardest part. We absorb all their emotions through the phone. Of course they would be looking for answers. It is bad enough that they are away from their loved ones. I also feel emotional at times when listening to some relatives letting go but I need to swallow all these emotions for me to be able to think straight and perform my duties well.

What could make it better

   If there is one word to describe the whole experience as a frontliner, it's STRESSFUL. To be honest, I would appreciate it if the government would not lose their focus on this pandemic. Everything that is happening is so disappointing. Mass testing should be prioritized. Another thing, I would also appreciate hazard pay and the end of discrimination against health care workers. I'm lucky to be working in a hospital where pay and benefits are not so bad. Some hospitals offer 80php per day for hazard pay, and for some, none at all.

Regrets on becoming a frontliner

    I usually say I never even wanted to be a nurse. Sometimes I think that those who have the opportunity to stay or work from home are very lucky. Everyday we struggle to leave our house to do our part in this pandemic and we are already tired. Despite these, I cannot imagine myself doing other jobs. If I quit becoming a nurse then I would probably become a doctor. I have come to realize that I love my job despite being tired all the time. I cannot imagine doing something else aside from this. Yes, it is draining but at some point I realized that it is definitely worth it especially when you see your patients recover.


My message to my fellowmen

    Always wash your hands. Wear mask all the time. Observe social distancing. As much as possible, avoid crowded places. Stay at home if possible. If you want or need to go out, make sure you become extra cautious. Take your vitamins. Wear your mask properly. Avoid touching your face.


To all frontliners

    Stay strong and healthy! We can do this! 

Read the other features on this medical school series:


and also a feature on how to ace NMAT:


Hi to all! My friend, Caryl, who I recently featured about her self-studying journey for NMAT here in my blog is selling cookies to help pay her lolo's hospital bill who is currently in the ICU at Providence Hospital. If you are interested in buying, just send her a message on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/cstllcryl) All your help would be appreciated! ( ◜‿◝ )♡

Disclaimer:

This blog post claims no credit for any images from the medical institution and management except those of the authors and writer's personal images featured on this site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyright to its respectful owners.

Information on this site may contain errors or inaccuracies; we do not make warranty as to the correctness or reliability of the site’s content. If you own rights to any of the images, and do not wish them to appear on this site, please contact me via e-mail, and they will be promptly removed.

The views expressed here are solely those of the authors in his/her private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of the medical institution and its management.

Furthermore, the assumptions, views, and opinions made by the writer of this blog does not reflect those of the medical institution and its management nor does it intend to degrade and offend the medical institution or medical worker. It is only used for educational and recreational purposes.

 


Comments

  1. Thank you for all your sacrifices ate. Stay strong! 💚

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts