INSIDE OUT: PAMANTASAN NG LUNGSOD NG MAYNILA COLLEGE OF MEDICINE

INSIDE OUT: PAMANTASAN NG LUNGSOD NG MAYNILA COLLEGE OF MEDICINE

written by: Christiana Sanchez

How is the application process in your school?

Among medical schools I have applied for, PLM-CM has the most requirements. Your patience will be tested right there and then in the application process. To be candid, one may reconsider other schools just because it’s too much to handle. But if you certainly are determined to study here, then you will take your time, money and effort in accomplishing the following:


Photo Source: https://www.plm.edu.ph/academics/colleges/medicine

Also, there are pre-requisite subjects that you must have taken already in your undergrad (pre-med course or not) for you to be considered for admission. The list of subjects can be found here: https://www.plm.edu.ph/academics/colleges/medicine

Just a little story time on my experience, I have not heard of PLM, more so of PLM-CM, even though I did my undergrad in Manila. It didn’t ring a bell to me until my good friend shared that PLM-CM is an affordable yet competitive medical school and that I should consider it. I remember vividly I was busy applying for other medical schools (interviews and confirmations) when I gave PLM-CM a shot. I went there straight ahead and made an inquiry. Oh boy, was the list long! And what? I have to take another exam? (It is called MCAT). My feelings were jumbled and my thoughts were unorganized. Should I still indulge myself with their demands? Should I just wait for announcements of the other schools I applied for and forget about PLM-CM? I was still in the campus with those questions in my head when suddenly I felt I belonged there. Do you guys feel that sometimes? It was like an instinct. You just know, you don’t need any reason for it. It will just hit you instantly. Well long story short, I dropped the medical schools I was qualified for (UST and UERM) and chose where I belonged to – where I was meant to be. Was I a risk taker? Yes, but I’m glad I took it.

Acquiring the requirements is the only hassle part of the application process, the rest is just a breeze. After submitting you just need to pay for the MCAT fee (Php 3,500.00) at the cashier across the med building, then go back to the med building for your test permit and take the MCAT as scheduled. During my time, it fell on the same day of NMAT March 2019, so Manila was packed with students taking the MCAT and NMAT. My advice is, travel as early as possible to not get stuck in traffic! Maraming nagko-commute!

MCAT is different from the MCAT in the US. MCAT in PLM-CM is more of general/stock knowledge so you do not really have to study for it. As far as I can recall, it consists of english, reading comprehension, history, a little bit of math and anything under the sun questions. I remember they asked who preceded the 11th president of the Philippines and what is the capital of this province. Napaka-random promise! The test was only 90 mins long so answer as fast as you can! Next part of MCAT is a psychology test, which thankfully is not timed. It has 300+ questions that tests your personality and if you’re fit to take medicine and ready to face its hurdles.

If you want to know more about MCAT, here’s a more detailed blog post: https://doktorph.blogspot.com/2018/11/plm-series-braving-mcat.html

After the MCAT comes your interview! You just need to visit PLM-CM again on your scheduled interview, be your best self, answer honestly and leave a good impression. The rest is a just long wait. It was already JUNE when they announced qualified applicants! Patience is the key by all means. In my case, I was not part of the first list, which bummed me. I treated it as a sign that I will just enroll in another medical school, but deep inside I wish I was qualified because I truly want to be part of PLM-CM! I visited their office to check if they were to release a second list and gladly, they were! I was hopeful and further asked if they accept reconsideration letters. I wanted to be sure. So, I gave my all writing the letter, since it’s the only thing left for me to do. After giving the letter I prayed I’d be part of the second list. Come two weeks later after their initial announcement, I was watching TV on a normal day and received a text that I am qualified for admission! I was over the moon! I couldn’t explain how happy I was! I quickly told my parents and the rest is history. I enrolled, did what I had to do, and became a member of the PLM-CM family <3


Enrollment day!

 

Tuition fee

The tuition fee system is a bit complicated in PLM-CM so please bear with me. Believe me, you will need to know these details if you plan to take medicine in PLM-CM!

PLM-CM is one of the affordable medical schools in Metro Manila relative to other schools since it is highly subsidized by the government. Upon enrollment, students are categorized based on the credentials (includes parents’ ITR) they have submitted upon application. Accepted first-year students are categorized as follows:

·        Category 1: Manila voter (with voting history)

Manila resident

Graduate of a public university in Manila

·        Category 2: Manila voter (with voting history)

Manila resident

Graduate of a private university in Manila or of a public or private university outside Manila

·        Category 3: Non-Manilans

·        Category 4: Graduated Summa or Magna Cum Laude in the baccalaureate degree

·        Category 5: Graduated Cum Laude in the baccalaureate degree

Those who are under Cat 3 (like me) are referred to as “full-paying” (around 80K per semester). However, we are still considered as scholars just as those in other categories because we, PLMayers, are all subsidized by the government. Students under Cat 1,2,4 and 5 will pay according to the scheme in that category, but they are required to maintain a GWA of 2.50 or better otherwise they will lose the financial privilege under that category and will be classified under Cat 3 for the next academic year. The student is given one year to regain his/her status in the previous category (1,2,4, or 5) and the financial privileges it carries by garnering a GWA of 2.50 or better. O ‘di ba may second chances!

Unfortunately, Cat 3 students cannot be reclassified to the other categories. Forever na akong Cat 3 lol. But don’t fret! There are scholarships based on academic standing (more to it later in this blog). In short, the better the grades the lower the tuition fee! Also, Cat 1/2/4/5 students will lose their status permanently if they fail in any subject. That’s why med students in PLM not only aim good grades for bragging rights but also for its financial privileges.

Last few details about these categories! Cat 1/2/4/5 students are required to do their postgrad internship in Ospital ng Maynila Medical Center. If they wish to do it in other hospitals, they must apply for re-categorization to Cat 3 in the 2nd year level and onwards. Cat 1/2/4/5 students must also render community service during the annual break or “summer break.”

The following are only rough estimates of tuition fee per category (please do not quote me on this): Cat 1 (8k-15k), Cat 2 (24k-30k), Cat 3 (70k-81k), Cat 4 (8k-15k), and Cat 5 (24k-30k).

 

NMAT Score needed

PLM-CM requires an applicant to have an NMAT score of 45 or above. You may think it is too low or too easy to attain but let me remind you that competition is tight as some applicants may have better NMAT scores than you (80, 90, 99+). Sure, there are other criteria for admission but if you were to be complacent about your NMAT score, you may not meet the cut for admission and lose the opportunity of studying medicine in PLM. So always make it a point to strive for a high NMAT score for higher chances of admission!

 

School address


The PLM-CM building: Gusaling Bagatsing.

PLM-CM is in Gusaling Bagatsing at Gen Luna corner Muralla Street, Intramuros, Manila, Philippines 1002.

 

Scholarships available that you know of

The following scholarships from the university can be awarded to a student if the student meets the following criteria:

·        The University Scholarship

o   A student is considered a University Scholar if:

§  He/she has a GWA of 1.50 or better without any grade lower than 2.00;

§  He/she has a moral integrity, good personal character and conduct;

o   The University scholar is:

§  exempted from ALL FEES (tuition, miscellaneous and Medical Educational Development Fund).

·        The College Scholarship

o   A student is considered a College Scholar if:

§  He/she has a GWA of 1.75 or better without any grade lower than 2.25;

§  He/she has moral integrity, good personal character and conduct;

o   The College Scholar:

§  is exempted from paying the Tuition Fee and the Medical Educational Development Fund

§  must pay all miscellaneous fees.

·        The Partial Scholarship

o   A student is considered a Partial Scholar if:

§  He/she has a GWA of 2.00 or better without any grade lower than 2.50;

§  He/she has moral integrity, good personal character and conduct;

o   The Partial Scholar:

§  pays only 50% percent of Full Medical tuition fee (Category 3)

§  is exempted from paying the Medical Educational Development Fund

§  must pay all other miscellaneous fees.

Note: If the student is in an entrant scholarship category and is qualified for a scholarship based on academic standing during his/her 1st year level, the student will be offered the scholarship that gives the greatest benefit and not both in the 2nd year level.

 

What is it like in your school? The culture, socials...

We are a small community since PLM-CM only accepts 150 first year students and the upperclassmen get fewer every year. What’s nice about it is we become familiar with one another as we see the same faces around the building and PLM campus (at least with 2nd years, since 3rd years and clerks are mostly in OMMC). We were welcomed warmly by the PLM-CM student council as they held a general assembly to unify the student body. Almost everyone was there except for the clerks, I think. Nonetheless, it was fun because we get to meet and know our blockmates, and at the same time interact with the upperclassmen! They even had a pinning ceremony for us, which I find very thoughtful because it felt official – we are now new members of the PLM-CM family!

Our upperclassmen were also considerate to compile and share reviewers, notes and practice tests to us for our survival. Trust me, when you run out of time, which will most likely happen, you bet your life you’re going to use those reviewers for studying! And when academic struggle dawns on us, we look out for each other and lend a helping hand. There is never a shame in asking for help! In our block it is common to have study groups because we badly need it and sometimes one in the group will teach and make us understand a topic within a snap of a finger – sometimes with use of mnemonics, analogies and even jokes! You will really be forced to study complex concepts within a short amount of time and you’ll do anything, I mean anything, to get through it. Kahit saan mo pa i-connect yung concept, kahit walang sense, as long as maaalala mo siya then do it!


My block, 1B, after our pinning ceremony with 2B.

Apart from studying and pulling all-nighters, med students also need to unwind. Last year, the PLM-CM student council organized MedWeek which is an avenue for us to participate in fun and exciting games and sports, pageants, singing and dance contest, symposium and quiz bees! Last year, they even squeezed in a celebration for the Batch 2018 PLE passers! Various organizations and fraternities and sororities also provide events and programs like medical missions, seminars, donation drives and many more. To those sports enthusiasts, there are clubs for them to join in and be representatives for the interschool sports competition held by the Association of Philippine Medical Colleges – Student Network (APMC-SN) annually.

    

    

    
Snippets of events from Med Week 2019.

 

What’s the system of teaching in your school, your school's forte? What's unique in your school?

PLM-CM uses OBE (outcomes-based education) where more students and less professors take-charge. On day one, they give out the schedule for the whole semester, with topic and case reports assigned to groups. Sometimes, your report in one subject will coincide with a long quiz – not to mention the short quizzes that almost happen every single day! Oh, and don’t forget the small group discussion and laboratory conference you need to prepare for. So, best to take the necessary steps in advance. Also, your blockmates are eager to learn from you because in some way you will not bore them. Rest assured, professors are there to guide you along your report by asking questions and by the end, to lay out a bigger picture and even share some of their clinical experience to appreciate and understand the topic more. Overwhelming, yes. But it is rewarding to know you handled such thing on your own with your groupmates – successful or not, you all worked for it and learned from it. Okay, move on na! May next report ka pa hahaha!

What’s unique about PLM-CM is that it is a community-oriented medical school. Although it is known to every medical school to be of service to everyone in the society, PLM-CM reaches more to the marginalized areas – the poorest of the poor. We are taught by our professors how health programs should be organized in such areas and that it must be cost-effective yet long-term and sustainable. They open our eyes to the harsh realities Filipino people experience (especially those marginalized) from our current healthcare system. They train us how to be socially responsible and accountable to the needs of the community because if we don’t, who will do it then? We must be all ears and eyes on how the healthcare system affects the health of our fellow Filipinos and that we ought to respond to it and make preventive measures. Indeed, being a physician is not all rainbows and butterflies, especially in our country.

 

What do you like most about your school?

The professors are very hands-on and experts in their respective fields. They make sure we understand what they’re talking about because sometimes they catch our minds drifting off to someplace else and even catch us sleeping! Minsan talaga ‘di mapigilan eh, sorry po doc huhu. On top of that, they give us information that are not found in textbooks and only applies to real-life situations, so better take notes, future doc! Also, although we have professors who seem to be unapproachable (lahat naman tayo may ganitong prof ‘di ba?), when you go to them and ask questions, they are more than happy to answer. There is no harm in asking! And with the quality of education they provide despite low-cost tuition fee, they produce great physicians – some are top-notchers, even! And with regards to PLE, PLM-CM’s standing is often, if not always, 100%!  So, you can truly see excellence both in the professors and students.

Another thing I like about our school is its mentoring program. I am not aware if other schools have this, so I am just going to describe how I experienced it. Basically, each block will be divided into 9 or 8 groups with 4-5 members each. Groups will be assigned to different professors as their mentors (it may be your current professor or not) and you get to meet once a month for guidance and kamusta-hans. I remember our mentor asking us how we are adjusting to med school, how we are performing in our subjects, and what we do to cope with our problems and stress. Really, I appreciate our mentor so much because I could feel that she genuinely cares for us and connects with us personally so that we can achieve our goals. What’s even nice is that mentors will be there for us until we graduate!

 

How is the lifestyle in your school? Food, utilities, accessibility of transpo

In terms of food, I can only describe it in one word – affordable! With the culture I was accustomed to back in undergrad in UST, I must say that I have saved a lot of money now! Our college does not have its own canteen, so we go to the PLM canteen where all students buy. I relish on home-cooked meals, so I usually buy them there and eat it in our classroom or in a gazebo with my friends (sadly there are no tables and chairs in that canteen). It offers a wide variety of food though, including meals, sandwiches, burgers, siomai, juice, shakes, and many more! Special mention to Ate Bebe who cooks delicious breakfast and pancit canton right when you order it – it’s still hot when you eat them! There is another canteen that we go to – this time, air-conditioned with tables and chairs. They have home-cooked meals, snacks and drinks as well. We also get hyped when there is an undergrad college event happening because we get to enjoy new food stalls (plus merch) every once in a while. If you have a long break, you can venture out in Intramuros to make your tummy happy. There is a diversity of fast-food chains, cafes and carinderias around so plenty of choices to choose from! But if you have a much longer break, you can ride a jeepney that’ll take you to Robinson’s Manila or any food place within the city.

Speaking of jeepneys, there are lots of them in the “round table” as we call it – the area across the entrance in Intramuros next to PLM. It can take you to many places, as far as Harrison. Within the walled city per se, there are shuttle services and pedicabs that can take you around Intramuros.

As for the utilities, to be blunt, PLM-CM lacks it. We sometimes bring the materials ourselves for our laboratory sessions. We have limited microscopes (around 10 only) in Histology, so for each group they can only use one microscope. Also, the slides are not as high-quality compared to those in other schools, but it is still doable. Unfortunately, our college is not as “techie” or innovative as other medical schools.

 

How bearable is your med school?

In every situation you’re in, there will always be obstacles that will stumble you down – even those that make you give up and quit. But know that there is a reason why you’re in such place right now. It’s because you are exactly where you’re meant to be. And to be completely honest, med school will break you a million of times – and before you know it, you are now a licensed doctor. Time just flies too fast. But along the way it will make you resilient, more passionate, imbued with more empathy, and goal driven. And along that way, you also have shared good and bad times with people around you, especially those who support you – for me it would be my blockmates, friends, and family.

Truly my blockmates have made med school bearable. We understand each other’s hardships and celebrate little successes together. We listen and respect one another. There is always a shoulder to lean on to and jokes to laugh at. Snack/lunch breaks and dismissals become more exciting for us. They add up to my reasons why I get up early and attend school – we share one dream, and in the future, altogether we save lives. And even with multitude of events happening on a day-to-day basis, whether beautiful or ugly, our classroom antics and healthy relationship simply gets us by the day.


My 1B family <3

  

The 1B Christmas Party.

Of course, my friends are my rock. I appreciate them so much for bearing with me since I don’t hang out with or talk to them as much as often. But when I do, I make up for the time we lost and make the best out of it.

And to my family, who makes my study in med school possible – I treasure them. Before going to school and as I arrive home, since I commute every day, I cherish every moment with them, however small – eating breakfast (whoever’s up early) and dinner, asking each other how our day went, watching TV and playing with our dog when there’s extra time, and other simple things. I love them so much and wouldn’t trade them for anything <3

 

Do you regret choosing your school?

Somehow yes, but I also don’t. Somehow yes because I could have chosen UST or UERM as my school since my parents can somewhat afford my education there. I would have enjoyed their developed facilities and utilities, “techie” equipment, and all the things not yet present in my current school. But also, I don’t regret PLM-CM. My experiences here cannot be replaced by anything – learned a lot from exceptional professors, awakened by the bitter truths of our healthcare system and its unimaginable consequences to our society (especially to the marginalized), made mistakes, failed exams (war flashbacks), felt stupid during exams, cried oceans, had sleepless nights, had mind-blocks, dealt with my insecurities and fears, felt inadequate, had mental breakdowns and burnouts, doubted myself, found study habits that work for me, aced few exams, became more resourceful and appreciative, met amazing people, helped a lot of people, took care of myself more, improved my self-esteem, gave myself pep talks when necessary, and all nice and crappy things combined. Indeed, every experience of mine is like a puzzle piece, and I am the puzzle. And I am more than proud to say that PLM-CM has become one of my puzzle pieces and has molded me to the person I am today.

Wherever you are, know that you’re going to be successful. And the key to it is happiness. Be happy and passionate with what you do. Love what you do. Success will come your way. Worry not, trust the process.

Good luck, future Doc! 😊

Christiana Sanchez

Read the other features on this medical school series:


and also a feature on how to ace NMAT:


Hi to all! My friend, Caryl, who I recently featured about her self-studying journey for NMAT here in my blog is selling cookies to help pay her lolo's hospital bill who is currently in the ICU at Providence Hospital. If you are interested in buying, just send her a message on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/cstllcryl) All your help would be appreciated! ( ◜‿◝ )♡



Disclaimer:

Medical School Series claims no credit for any images from the medical institution and management except those of the authors and writer's personal images featured on this site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyright to its respectful owners.

Information on this site may contain errors or inaccuracies; we do not make warranty as to the correctness or reliability of the site’s content. If you own rights to any of the images, and do not wish them to appear on this site, please contact me via e-mail, and they will be promptly removed.

The views expressed here are solely those of the authors in his/her private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of the medical institution and its management.

Furthermore, the assumptions, views, and opinions made by the writer of this blog does not reflect those of the medical institution and its management nor does it intend to degrade and offend the medical institution or medical student. It is only used for educational and recreational purposes.

Comments

Popular Posts